I’d like to introduce a new Drop-Tine product that I’ve personally been interested in and working on for several years now: Nitro Food Plot Kelp. As with all of the products from Drop-Tine Nitro made its way to the farm here and managed to impress us with results. I decided to work with a couple sources to tweak the product to suit my needs and I ultimately came up with what I believe to be the best liquid Kelp product on the market.
As a deer biologist I’m constantly harping on the importance of growing high quality plants so much needed minerals can be consumed by the whitetails we manage. During the 2015 growing season I planted an Eagle forage soybean that I purposely did not fertilized. I purposely put the beans at a disadvantage and as a result of an abnormally cold spring I planted a month later when I normally plant. Due to those setbacks our deer over-consumed the plot to the point where I considered fencing it or even re-planting. I decided to tank mix Nitro Liquid Kelp with RoundUp and within a week the plot was growing at a faster rate than the deer could consume it. I immediately knew I had to offer Nitro to everyone, not just Drop-Tine Wildlife Consulting clients.
So what is Kelp?
Kelp is a brown seaweed known to scientists as Ascophyllum Nodosum. Plants are harvested in a sustainable manner typically in Norway and incorporated into high quality animal feed and agricultural fertilizers.
Kelp is a natural plant food that contains many trace minerals that have important regulatory functions in plants and the animals that consume them. Some of the major benefits to applying Nitro Food Plot Kelp include:
- Improved mineral uptake from the soils to the plants
- Slows the aging process in the plants, resulting in a longer productive season
- Improved seed germination
- Optimizes root development
- Increases the number and size of the flowers – the flowers of this soybean plant will eventually be pods filled with soybean grain
- Increases chlorophyll in the plants which is why the plots look dark green
- Increases the sugar content in the plants
- Reduces stress in food plots as a result of weather extremes
- Increases the overall vigor of the plants making them more resistant to disease, insects, drought and frost.
There are many more advantages to using Drop-Tine’s Nitro Food Plot Kelp and I’m really excited to get this product out there and in your food plot!